Saturday, January 19, 2013

Carmela’s Food Blog: ADDICK-TING Stuffed Peppers



We all say hello to a new year and promise to make new choices. I always start off by weighing myself at Weight Watchers and end up becoming the queen of the point system. I don't know what happens, but I slip off come spring. This year the lovely Jennifer Hudson has me inspired. So, in between my mozzarella making and restaurant visits, I am trying to keep the healthy eating up. I made this recipe up myself and find it satisfying and very low in points and calories. When I run out of time to make dinner I just heat one of these up!

Hope you like them!

What you will need:

8 peppers (any color-your choice) try to find ones that have a flat bottom so they can stand up in a pan by themselves without falling over
1 lb ground turkey (be careful of the calories and fat, read the label)
1 can Manwich original sloppy joe mix
1 can of peas drained (frozen ok too)
1 small onion
1 cup cooked brown rice (I ordered a container from my local Chinese take-out) I like it better than the packaged ones.



Directions:

To make the stuffing: Spray a frying pan with pam spray. Dice the onions and sauté till onions are transparent. Add the ground turkey. When turkey is 75% cooked add the can of Manwich. Add the peas. Then the cooked brown rice. Mix well. Turn off heat.

Prepare the peppers: Pour a 1/2 inch of water in the bottom of your roasting/baking pan.
Cut the top of the peppers off and take out the membranes and seeds. Spoon the mixture in the peppers. Fill to top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Check halfway through to make sure the water has not evaporated. If so, just add more to the bottom of the pan. Serve.

If you are counting points I estimate it at 4. If you are counting calories, I estimate they are approximately 200 calories each.

Enjoy!

Follow me on twitter @carmelacorleone

P.S. If you make them please let me know how you liked them!!!

No comments: